The Berwick Music Series 2022 will take place over three weekends, Sept 25-27, Oct 7-9 and Oct 21-23. The theme is the Solo Stringed Instrument. You will find the full programme here and you can read about BMS 2019 and 2021 here.
The programme includes:
- Three concerts, for solo violin, viola and cello. They will feature a mixed programme of classical and modern music, including pieces by local composers.
- An “extra” concert featuring only modern music by local composers
- Three lectures describing, analysing and commenting on the works to be performed in concert.
- A schools project, called Strings ‘n’ Things, which is open to schools in Berwick and the surrounding areas, and culminating in a performance featuring the works produced.
- A composition competition for pieces for solo stringed instruments; the winning entrants will each have their pieces played at one of the concerts..
- A sound installation featuring Alvin Lucier’s Music on a Long Thin Wire.
- A community performance led by the Berwick Chanters.
This is the third year of the Berwick Music Series, and we are building on the success of the first two series.
- We are expanding our schools programme from seven schools to eleven, and increasing our engagement with each school,
- We have added an “extra” concert, which will be devoted entirely to New Music,
- We are building on the success of last year’s Chant workshop,
- We have established an Artistic Advisory Committee to assist Artistic Director Mike Worboys, and
- With the support of Berwick Town Council, we have increased significantly the prize money for the Composition Competition.
You will find the people involved in BMS 2022 here.