The Berwick Music Series is a pot pourri of concerts, lectures, workshops, community performances, music projects for schools, and an international competition for composers. It is held over three week-ends in September/October in Berwick-upon-Tweed. We are delighted with the success of BMS 2019 and BMS 2021, and you will find details of this year’s programme on the Berwick Music website.
BMS, under Artistic Director, Prof Michael Worboys, celebrates classical and contemporary music played by soloists and small ensembles.
The objectives of the Berwick Music Series are:
- To promote learning about music
- To promote children’s interest in listening to and creating music
- To encourage community participation in musical activities
- To introduce audiences to New Music.
- To provide opportunities for musicians as composers and performers, including those from the North East.
- To encourage outreach by educational establishments into Berwick.
The principal venue for BMS concerts is the Berwick Watchtower, well-known for its collection of the art of Ian Stephenson and for its lovely acoustic properties.